Hipster style refers to a movement that started in the 1940s, where people dress in a vintage fashion. Hipsters wear clothes from flea markets, thrift stores, and vintage clothing shops. They are often seen wearing berets, thick-frame glasses and proudly sporting mustaches and sideburns. Hipster style is not to be confused with Bohemian style which is more free-spirited and not necessarily as attention-seeking.
The following are some of the characteristics of a hipster style:
1) Freestyle, means that hipsters wear what they want without caring to follow trends. One example of this is the popularity of berets.
2) Vintage, this means that hipsters do not like to follow new fashion trends such as wearing leather jackets and chains or tight, fitted jeans. Instead, they prefer to wear old clothes from vintage shops and thrift stores, as well as any clothes purchased from flea markets or best-priced from online websites like eBay.
3) Retro, this is taking on a look that is of a period in the past. Hipsters take inspiration from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.
4) Bohemian, hipsters wear clothes that are earthy and baggy. They also eschew today’s skinny jeans for wide-legged trousers and long dresses.
Tips on how to dress hipster style
1) Go to places and shop for clothes that are not mainstream. You can find second-hand clothes from thrift stores or best-priced items from eBay. If you are looking for a specific item, always check eBay or Craigslist first before going to a retail store because the chances are that you can buy it there for lesser prices.
2) You can get a lot of inspiration from vintage shop websites and online shops like eBay.
3) Always look for some good fabric that has a cool aesthetic. You can find different kinds of fabrics such as wool, leather, and denim. All these materials are well accepted by hipsters.
4) Do not buy more than one of the same item so that you don’t look too trendy.
Hipster style can be a good and fun way to stand out in the crowd, but you mustn’t overdo it. You should not wear clothes with too much being exposed. Instead, you should find clothes that fit you well but do not show too much skin.